February 11th, 2022
If you’re asking yourself whether you should use Bulk Storage or Rack Storage, you’ve come to the right place!
Let’s start by looking at how the two compare.
Floor (Bulk) Storage
The most inexpensive storage method allowing for high storage density.
These storage areas will be in a designated area of the warehouse organized in rows. The rows can be as deep as the space allows. If you are storing a large amount of one SKU or a limited number of SKU, then it could be a great option. Do you need Floor (Bulk) Storage? Ask yourself these three questions:
- Can the pallets stack 2, 3, 4, or higher?
- Can the product support the weight of additional pallets without being crushed?
- Will each stack/row contain the same SKU?
If the answer to all of these is yes, then floor (bulk) storage is right up your alley.
The most common type of storage in warehousing providing a lower storage density.
Racks provide the greatest visibility and are the best option for pallets that will need to be moved often and/or picked. It will often better utilize vertical storage depending on the clearance height of the warehouse. Do you need rack storage? Ask yourself these three questions.
- Will your pallets need to be moved often and/or picked before shipping out?
- Do you have a variety of of products that will come in multiple pallet sizes?
- Are you flexible on time and storage costs?